Change Note Colors

Alexis Baskind
Dear all,

I'm trying to change the "note colors" settings from a plugin. According to
the Manuscript Language Reference it's possible, since the variable
Sibelius.ViewNoteColors is meant to be read/write. In practice however
changing it does not seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug?

Best,

Alexis

--
Sent from: http://sibelius-manuscript-plug-in-developers.3224780.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Change Note Colors

Bob Zawalich-3
I can confirm that in Sib 7.5 at least, the property appears to be read
only. It correctly reads what is set in the UI.

The only plugin I can find that sets this variable to something other than 0
is Pitch Spectrum for Harp, which set the value to use the Pitch Spectrum,
which has not been available since Sib 6. I believe that it worked when
Pitch Spectrum was available, and in fact I can run it in Sib 5 and it sets
the pitch spectrum (value 2) on or off, so at least at one time at least one
such setting was writeable.

Unfortunately we have no access to anyone who can tell us if or when this
had been changed, or if any of the values other than 2 were ever writeable.

Re: Change Note Colors

I did some more testing and can confirm that with respect to
Sibelius.ViewNoteColors, setting all colors worked in Sib 5, in Sib 6, Pitch
Spectrum was disabled and other colors worked, and as of Sib 7.1.3, none of
the colors are writeable, though they are still readable.

I have no idea why the change was made or if it was intentional. A lot of
code change in Sib 7 and maybe it just fell through the cracks.

As far as I can tell, Color Pitches is the only shipping plugin that sets
Sibelius.ViewNoteColors, and it only sets it to 0 to make sure the colors it
adds will show up. It will not give the desired results if the note colors
are set to out of range or voice colors. Obviously it is not used enough
that anyone has brought it up.

bob

***********************************

Re: Change Note Colors

Alexis Baskind
Hi Bob,

thanks for your answers and for your researches. I did some similar tests
and come to the same conclusion. I guess this is a bug which was introduced
with Sibelius 7, and never corrected meanwhile.

Too bad, the principle of scriptable plugins is great, but the accumulation
of such bugs and limitations is really discouraging to continue to develop
plugins for this platform and give us a hard time.

Best,

Alexis

--
Sent from: http://sibelius-manuscript-plug-in-developers.3224780.n2.nabble.com/