Changing instrument sounds with a script

Changing instrument sounds with a script

Dubravko Pajalic-2
i prepare practice and also edit choral scores for my choir and by default, sounds associated with SATB are F/M “ohs and ah’s” which my singers find a bit annoying and request piano sound instead.
Any solution to do a script which will do change to selected instrument (e.g. piano) for all voices at the same time?

Yours
peter

Re: Changing instrument sounds with a script

Bob Zawalich-3
I would suggest this:

1. Create  a new score using the same Manuscript Paper you usually use.
2. In that score, edit each of the instruments, changing the default sound, to, for example, Piano
3. While you have this score, Export as Manuscript Paper, and use for future scores
4. Export House Style
5. Import the house style, perhaps only the Instrument Definitions to minimize disruptions, into any scores you want to change.

If you want to change a lot of scores, look at the Import House Style Into Folder of Scores plugins.

snap1.png (82K) Download Attachment

Re: Changing instrument sounds with a script

Phil Shaw
A more elaborate way to avoid the "Choir Ahs"  is to use the Virtual Singer add-on for the Harmony Assistant
sequencer, at "myriadonline.com".  You export MIDI or MusicXML from Sibelius  to Harmony Assistant/Virtual Singer
(HA/VS), and HA/VS will then generate the vocal lines, with the words.  HA/VS sometimes mispronounces words
(e.g. it doesn't know if "live" should rhyme with "give" or "five", or "wind" with "bend" or "find"), which you can correct
with phonetic spelling.   HA/VS is a solid product, with very sketchy documentation, so if you try it let me know and I can send you a set of guidelines for using it with Sibelius.

Phil Shaw - Email: [hidden email] - URL: philshaw.com

Ron

Re: Changing instrument sounds with a script

Ron
I wrote up my methodology for achieving this a while ago (see http://blog.teahousestudio.com/2014/11/514/)

Briefly, I duplicate the vocal lines in Sibelius creating new parts. Change the instruments on those parts to something more suitable (distinct and clear such as clarinet and cor anglais).

I then export each of the instrument versions of the vocal line (and also an accompaniment if necessary) as WAV files.

I then combine wave files to produce the final part+accompaniment files.

Ron.

On 15 April 2018 00:34:50 BST, Phil Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dubravko Pajalic
Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately I do all of that for many years. I am looking for a possible  script which will do change to selected instrument (e.g. piano) for all voices at the same time?
E.g. change soprano , alto, tenor, bass vocal defaults to instrument of choice, .i.e. piano.
Unfortunately I am not a programmer, but can imagine the algorithm for that.

Yours
Dubravko