Changing order of instruments in score

Thomas Weber
Is there a way to re-order instruments in a score by means other than creating new staffs and copying the old content there?  We're in a situation where we'd want to change the order of instruments during our working process frequently.  A scripted copy/paste method feels too risky that some aspects get lost, and it might be possible to preserve linked parts.  But using the instrument dialog to re-sort 80 instruments every time is very tedious.

Many thanks for any answers - even if it turns out that in ManuScript, there is indeed no other way than copy&paste.
Thomas

--

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 15007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 220661685

Leuschnerdamm 13
10999 Berlin

notengrafik.com

Re: Changing order of instruments in score

Bob Zawalich-3
There in no way to change Instrument order in ManuScript. Even creating instruments gives you only top and bottom and default positions.

Bob

> On Nov 22, 2017, at 7:08 AM, Thomas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to re-order instruments in a score by means other than creating new staffs and copying the old content there?  We're in a situation where we'd want to change the order of instruments during our working process frequently.  A scripted copy/paste method feels too risky that some aspects get lost, and it might be possible to preserve linked parts.  But using the instrument dialog to re-sort 80 instruments every time is very tedious.
>
> Many thanks for any answers - even if it turns out that in ManuScript, there is indeed no other way than copy&paste.
> Thomas
>

> --
>
> Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
> HRB 15007
>
> UstID: DE 289234097
> Geschäftsführer:
> Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff
>
> fon: +49 30 220661685
>
> Leuschnerdamm 13
> 10999 Berlin
>
> notengrafik.com

Re: Changing order of instruments in score

Thomas Weber
Thanks Bob.  My plan would have been to basically re-create all staffs and delete all old staffs, but the potential problems of this method outweigh the benefits.  So we'll either have to re-order manually or find an entirely different solution.

Thomas

--

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 15007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 220661685

Leuschnerdamm 13
10999 Berlin

notengrafik.com

Re: Changing order of instruments in score

Bob Zawalich-3

It is certainly possible to set up a dialog like the one in Add Instruments with up and down buttons, that would provide a UI for ordering staves. You could then recreate all the instruments (I would create them in order at the bottom of the score), and copy the original contents of each staff into the corresponding new staff. You can then delete the original staff by selecting it entirely and then deleting the selection (see utils.DeleteStaff for an example of doing this).

I might wait till the end and then select all the original staves and delete them in one step.

I have tried things like this in the past (tying to clone a score from scratch, rather than saving a copy and clearing the staves) and have always given up. My recollection is that the big problem in the general case is multi-staff instruments. You have to create them, which may give you 2 staves, and then compare how many staves are in the original instrument, and then possible delete a staff or add new ones, including ossias.

Ossias are particularly tricky. In the old days it was safe to assume that a small staff was an ossia. In ConsolidateOssias, I have a routine IsOssia that does this:

            IsOssia "(staff) {

// we treat a staff as an ossia if

// a) it is a small staff in a multi staff instrument

// b) it starts out hidden and has at least one instrument change or

// c) it starts not hidden and has an instrument change to a non hidden staff or

// d) it starts out hidden but never has non hidden changes ie an empty ossia

A user could change the size though it is unlikely and there are now more possible sizes, which ManuScript has no access to.

You would probably want to do a mapping of instruments onto staves, which is a bit tricky but doable. I have a routine GetArrMultiStaves that I use a lot in plugins like EditInstrumentNames that handles this pretty well.

Now that I look at this description, it does not really seem all that hard to do, so I have to think there were are more details I am not thinking of, or I would have finished those plugins back in the day. There will be layout issues of course if you add and delete a bunch of staves, but again it could be tolerable.

Good luck if you try it!

bob