Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

SimonNathan

Hi all,

Anyone else able to reproduce this problem? The "Copy" command doesn't seem to work since upgrading to Sibelius 2018.4.

Reproduction steps: Try making a passage selection and running a plugin containing the following code:

sel = Sibelius.ActiveScore.Selection;

sel.Copy(0);

trace(sel.ClipboardContainsData(0));

Result: False (i.e. the clipboard contains no data).

Expected result: True

Any chance of a quick fix from the dev team? A lot of plugins must now be broken... (although Bob's Clipboards plugin does still work as it seems to copy and paste via what I can only describe as wizardry)

Simon

Re: Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

Dave Foster
Hi Simon,

Thanks for bringing this up: I haven't upgraded to 2018.4 out of fear of exactly this sort of thing happening! So I can't confirm the problem, but I can confirm that running your code in 8.7.2 returns True. If this is properly broken, then the Explode and Reduce plugins will fall at the first hurdle, as would several others as you suggest. Here's hoping that the dev team read this - I have not had much luck getting a response from direct emails to Sam Butler or Joe Pearson (regarding the sluggish 4K monitor issues).

Cheers,

Dave

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 18:05, Simon Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone else able to reproduce this problem? The "Copy" command doesn't seem to work since upgrading to Sibelius 2018.4.
>
> Reproduction steps: Try making a passage selection and running a plugin containing the following code:
>
> sel = Sibelius.ActiveScore.Selection;
> sel.Copy(0);
> trace(sel.ClipboardContainsData(0));
>
> Result: False (i.e. the clipboard contains no data).
>
> Expected result: True
>
> Any chance of a quick fix from the dev team? A lot of plugins must now be broken... (although Bob's Clipboards plugin does still work as it seems to copy and paste via what I can only describe as wizardry)
>
> Simon

Re: Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

SimonNathan
Thanks Dave for running the code. The explode and reduce plugins do actually still work, so perhaps I've misdiagnosed the problem. Evidently though there is a difference if yours returns true and mine returns false. If someone else on 2018.4 can confirm, I'll raise this with the devs.

Cheers,

Simon

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Dave Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for bringing this up: I haven't upgraded to 2018.4 out of fear of exactly this sort of thing happening! So I can't confirm the problem, but I can confirm that running your code in 8.7.2 returns True. If this is properly broken, then the Explode and Reduce plugins will fall at the first hurdle, as would several others as you suggest. Here's hoping that the dev team read this - I have not had much luck getting a response from direct emails to Sam Butler or Joe Pearson (regarding the sluggish 4K monitor issues).

Cheers,

Dave

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 18:05, Simon Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone else able to reproduce this problem? The "Copy" command doesn't seem to work since upgrading to Sibelius 2018.4.
>
> Reproduction steps: Try making a passage selection and running a plugin containing the following code:
>
> sel = Sibelius.ActiveScore.Selection;
> sel.Copy(0);
> trace(sel.ClipboardContainsData(0));
>
> Result: False (i.e. the clipboard contains no data).
>
> Expected result: True
>
> Any chance of a quick fix from the dev team? A lot of plugins must now be broken... (although Bob's Clipboards plugin does still work as it seems to copy and paste via what I can only describe as wizardry)
>
> Simon

Re: Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

Yes. selection.Copy to clipboard 0, the system clipboard is broken in 2018.4. The devs know about this and have promised to fix it in an upcoming update, pretty soon, as I understand.

All plugins that copy to clipboard 0, which you must use if pasting to a different score, will fail. I have found at least 20 published plugins that fail in this way. Here are some of them.

Several shipping plugins fails as well, including Retrograde. I don’t see such copy statements in The Renotate plugin, but I have not looked hard.

For the most part, it I use clipboards I try to avoid 0 if I am staying within a score, since using 0 will clear anything a user may have put there.

AnalyzeHarmonicIntervals

ImportColoredNoteheadStyles

DeleteOrUpdateTitlePage

CopyNotesAsGraceNotes

UnfoldRepeats

FingeringForInstruments

HarpGlissPitches

Unarpeggiate

CopyNotesOnly

ImposeSketchontoTemplate

TransposeCopy

TransferScoreData

Retrograde

Tupletsplit

CheckFirstSpeciesCounterpoint

Clipboards fails if you try pasting cross scores. What is actually does is deconstruct the selection and store the data into global Sparse Arrays when you copy. Then at Paste time, it rebuilds a selection, copies to a clipboard, and pastes.

It was not trivial, but I was interested in the properties and lifespan of global sparse arrays, so it was an interesting experiment.

Re: Copy seems to be broken in Sibelius 2018.4

I suggest waiting until the release that fixes copy(0) comes out before really trying to figure out the problems with Explode/ Reduce.