Huh?

Martin Marris

Witness this code, which yields the results shown in the trace window below:

ASCII 8217 for the forward apostrophe (or closing single quotation mark, if you prefer)???

The standard code for that one has been 146 since computer-time immemorial.

That is really, really strange. Furthermore I find that I can actually use that 8217, i.e., ManuScript doesn’t balk at using Chr(8217).

This is in Sib6.

I also find that --   “    -- the opening double-quotation mark – is reported by ManuScript as ASCII 8220 (it is normally 147 in other programs).

My wild guess is that there is a funny range in there, somewhere between 127 and (say) 160, where things are going kerflooey.

Martin

Re: Huh?

Peter Castine
The character in question is a typographic apostrophe, not the old-fashioned straight apostrophe at ASCII 146.

ManuScript is behaving correctly here.

What's probably surprising you is that Windows is automagically converting your "dumb" apostrophe key into "smart" single quotes. That's what they call "user friendly" in Redmond.

-- Peter

On 12 Mar 2016, at 0:14 , Martin Marris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Witness this code, which yields the results shown in the trace window below:

<image001.png>

ASCII 8217 for the forward apostrophe (or closing single quotation mark, if you prefer)???

The standard code for that one has been 146 since computer-time immemorial.

That is really, really strange. Furthermore I find that I can actually use that 8217, i.e., ManuScript doesn’t balk at using Chr(8217).

This is in Sib6.

I also find that --   “    -- the opening double-quotation mark – is reported by ManuScript as ASCII 8220 (it is normally 147 in other programs).

My wild guess is that there is a funny range in there, somewhere between 127 and (say) 160, where things are going kerflooey.

Martin

Re: Huh?

Martin Marris
Ascii 146 *is* the typographic apostrophe.

The straight apostrophe is Ascii 39.

Martin

Re: Huh?

Bruno Degazio
8217 is the unicode value for a right single quotation mark

bruno

On Mar 11, 2016, at 6:23 PM, Peter Castine <[hidden email]> wrote:

8217