Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Martin Marris

When opening earlier-version files, ManuScript has the “Quiet” boolean option. Is there any way to specify the import options though?

For example, I have a large batch of older files that use “legacy” chord text. It is necessary to change that text to the current Sibelius “smart” chord objects. If I import the file into Sib6 or Sib7 “manually” a dialog appears, and there is a checkbox to convert the chord text. But there doesn’t seem to be a way to “forced” this when opening a legacy file with a ManuScript plugin.

Yes, I am aware of Bob’s plugin that converts legacy chord text – and that is what I have been using, after batch-importing the files. But is there no way to force it to happen at the moment that the file is opened by ManuScript in the first place?

Martin

Re: Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Bob Zawalich

Well, Martin, I suspect you have done this sort of thing more than any of us here. There is no hidden open switch – I usually use “Quiet”, which is not always quiet – and if you use that Sib basically does as little as it can when opening an old format file. I would guess that you can turn Quiet off and have the dialog come up every time (though as I said, I rarely use that option), but if you want to not have the dialog appear each time you have to accept the minimal conversion state. Sib does not appear to remember what you used last time if you open a file manually and then open via plugin with the quiet option, and I would say that is usually how I want it.

So I know of no other options other than to open “Noisy” and set the dialogs or open quiet and do what you can to make you own conversions after the score is open. At least there is a way to convert the chord symbols after the fact. I suspect there are other conversions that can’t be done at all with plugins.

Good luck!

Re: Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Martin Marris
Thanks Bob!

>>Sib does not appear to remember what you used last time if you open a file
manually and then open via plugin with the quiet option...<<

I have just discovered that, in Sibelius for Windows, there is a Registry
key for this. For instance, in Sibelius 6:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2966774959-1814521627-418035064-1000\Software\Sibelius
Software\Sibelius
6\Preferences\Preferences\UpdateScoreOptions\ConvertChordSymbolText

By default, this option is set to "false" (and like you, that is how I would
usually want it to be, by default).

ManuScript doesn't have Registry functions but the other scripting languages
that we use do have the ability to alter Registry keys. So my aim is to
write a batch-conversion routine that temporarily sets the Registry key to
"true," then invokes ManuScript to batch-upgrade the files to modern
versions of Sibelius, then restores the Registry key to the default of
"false" before quitting.

If we can't get this to work, we'll use your "convert legacy chords" plugin
instead!

Martin

Re: Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Martin Marris

Updating my previous post:

--The Registry key works as it should; you can even change it from one value to another during a Sibelius session i.e. you don't have to restart Sibelius to get the setting to "take."

--If the source file contains a legacy chord symbol that modern versions of Sibelius “don't understand,” the importer will leave the legacy chord symbol alone. In order to warn the human editors that there is something "wrong" with the chord, we are adding a ManuScript routine that will search the file and flag these "remaining legacy chords" in red for human editors to fix later:

for each staff in score

     {

     for each bar in staff

           {

           for each Text obj in bar

                {

                if (obj.StyleId = "text.staff.space.chordsymbol")

                     {

                     obj.ColorRed = 255;

--In order to run the importing/updating process in "quiet" batch mode, you first need to open a legacy file that contains a "don't understand" chord; when the dialogue box appears warning you about this chord, you need to check the "don't show this again" box. (There is probably a Registry key for *that* too, but I haven’t found it yet.)

Martin

Re: Import Options When Batch-Importing Old-Version Files

Bob Zawalich

You know, I think I do a pretty good job of thinking outside the box, but if I were you, Martin, I’d be careful I did not go over the cliff!

I would not have thought to look in the registry. I thought that the Preferences setting were set in the registry; I  did not know that there were other settings there as well. It would be interesting to know what all the settings in the registry did. I wonder if anyone now at Avid could find that out and document them?

Your chord symbol test is likely going to work fine; if there is a chance someone might have made user variations of the text style, I have been known to use what you have as a prefix, and use Substring on the StyleId to catch any variants. If you are getting scores from various sources things like that sometimes happen, but you will probably be OK.

If you have colored objects, I sometimes find it useful  to have a “scanner” for those. So what I might do is select all and use Filter Other to filter colored objects, then run Go To to give a list of selected objects that you can being into view so you don’t have to find them manually. But I imagine you have methods for doing that.

If anyone ever tells me that I have an impossible task and I should select a team, I will give you a call!

Bob