NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

jsp28
Hi,

I'm having a really small problem with a new plugin, but I can't
figure out a way round and I wondered if you might know how?

I have adapted an existing plugin for my own use, but it has saved
from Notepad++ in the form NewPlugin.plg.txt and Sibelius will not
load it. I tried using the plugin installer, but that didn't seem to
help. I tried all of the window menus but I can get rid of the .txt
ending, and Notepad++ is not able to do it either.

I have the file saved in
C:\Users\jendeegan\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins\Batch
Processing but when I open the plugin editor and look in the batch
processing folder it is not there.

I have looked in the docs and searched online, and am getting nowhere.
I know this is probably an incredibly newbie question, but I wondered
if anyone could possibly help me out?

Thanks!

Jen

Re: NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

jsp28
Oh. I figured out how to save as NewPlugin.plg in Notepad++. I just
have to put the filename in quotes, like "NewPlugin.plg".

Now the plugin editor loads it as an almost empty file, with just the
empty initialize and run methods. Oh well. Slightly closer. :-)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 19:07, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a really small problem with a new plugin, but I can't
> figure out a way round and I wondered if you might know how?
>
> I have adapted an existing plugin for my own use, but it has saved
> from Notepad++ in the form NewPlugin.plg.txt and Sibelius will not
> load it. I tried using the plugin installer, but that didn't seem to
> help. I tried all of the window menus but I can get rid of the .txt
> ending, and Notepad++ is not able to do it either.
>
> I have the file saved in
> C:\Users\jendeegan\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins\Batch
> Processing but when I open the plugin editor and look in the batch
> processing folder it is not there.
>
> I have looked in the docs and searched online, and am getting nowhere.
> I know this is probably an incredibly newbie question, but I wondered
> if anyone could possibly help me out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Re: NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

jsp28
I have found the plugin-installer-plugin under "other". Inching my way
forwards. :-)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 19:16, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh. I figured out how to save as NewPlugin.plg in Notepad++. I just
> have to put the filename in quotes, like "NewPlugin.plg".
>
> Now the plugin editor loads it as an almost empty file, with just the
> empty initialize and run methods. Oh well. Slightly closer. :-)
>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 19:07, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a really small problem with a new plugin, but I can't
> > figure out a way round and I wondered if you might know how?
> >
> > I have adapted an existing plugin for my own use, but it has saved
> > from Notepad++ in the form NewPlugin.plg.txt and Sibelius will not
> > load it. I tried using the plugin installer, but that didn't seem to
> > help. I tried all of the window menus but I can get rid of the .txt
> > ending, and Notepad++ is not able to do it either.
> >
> > I have the file saved in
> > C:\Users\jendeegan\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins\Batch
> > Processing but when I open the plugin editor and look in the batch
> > processing folder it is not there.
> >
> > I have looked in the docs and searched online, and am getting nowhere.
> > I know this is probably an incredibly newbie question, but I wondered
> > if anyone could possibly help me out?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jen

Re: NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

You can change the file name in the file system of course. Sibelius will
only load files with the plg extension to be plugins.

In my experience, when you use an external editor and find noting in a
loaded plugin it is because you have use double quotes in the plugin text.
ManuScript uses double quotes as separators for its blocks and you cannot
use them internally, as with literals. Use single quotes instead.

I find that I have a terrible time ensuring that I have no double quotes in
the wrong place. Sometimes I just have to use Find in my editor and walk
through them one by one until I find them. Having a quote matcher in your
test editor can be a big help. Watch out for unmatched braces as well.

Personally I often set up the plugin structure in the Sibelius plugin editor
and then edit methods individually in a text editor, then past that code
back into Sibelius. You can use normal double quotes that way, since the
structural double quotes are not being  copied.

You may notice that you cannot use  double quotes as part of text in a
plugin. This is why we got them to add Chr() and Asc to ManuScript (Chr(34)
is a double quote character). Be careful not to allow double quotes in user
text to be saved as a global variable, or you will again find your plugin
dismantled if it is saved in the plugin file and then reloaded.

Oh. I figured out how to save as NewPlugin.plg in Notepad++. I just have to
put the filename in quotes, like "NewPlugin.plg".

Now the plugin editor loads it as an almost empty file, with just the empty
initialize and run methods. Oh well. Slightly closer. :-)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 19:07, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a really small problem with a new plugin, but I can't
> figure out a way round and I wondered if you might know how?
>
> I have adapted an existing plugin for my own use, but it has saved
> from Notepad++ in the form NewPlugin.plg.txt and Sibelius will not
> load it. I tried using the plugin installer, but that didn't seem to
> help. I tried all of the window menus but I can get rid of the .txt
> ending, and Notepad++ is not able to do it either.
>
> I have the file saved in
> C:\Users\jendeegan\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins\Batch
> Processing but when I open the plugin editor and look in the batch
> processing folder it is not there.
>
> I have looked in the docs and searched online, and am getting nowhere.
> I know this is probably an incredibly newbie question, but I wondered
> if anyone could possibly help me out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Re: NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

If you install the Install New Plugin plugin, which is really easier than
copying into the plugin folders, you will find that on Windows at least it
works best I you place your unzipped .plg file on the desktop, because that
is the only place the plugin can  look for it. On a Mac, I am not really
sure where it looks first. You can put it anywhere you want, of course and
just find it with the dialog browser, but it fill find it right off on the
desktop.

Oh. I figured out how to save as NewPlugin.plg in Notepad++. I just have to
put the filename in quotes, like "NewPlugin.plg".

Now the plugin editor loads it as an almost empty file, with just the empty
initialize and run methods. Oh well. Slightly closer. :-)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 19:07, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a really small problem with a new plugin, but I can't
> figure out a way round and I wondered if you might know how?
>
> I have adapted an existing plugin for my own use, but it has saved
> from Notepad++ in the form NewPlugin.plg.txt and Sibelius will not
> load it. I tried using the plugin installer, but that didn't seem to
> help. I tried all of the window menus but I can get rid of the .txt
> ending, and Notepad++ is not able to do it either.
>
> I have the file saved in
> C:\Users\jendeegan\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins\Batch
> Processing but when I open the plugin editor and look in the batch
> processing folder it is not there.
>
> I have looked in the docs and searched online, and am getting nowhere.
> I know this is probably an incredibly newbie question, but I wondered
> if anyone could possibly help me out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Re: NewPlugin.plg.txt problem

jsp28
Thanks, that's really good to know.

I am getting by at the moment by just editing one of the existing
scripts. I only need to do tiny edits, so it works fine so far.

I'm just editing ExportFolderAsPDF.plg to say:

score.SaveAs(file.Name, "Midi");
score.ExportScoreAsPDF(strFullPath);
score.ExportPartsAsPDF(strFullPath, True, 0, False);
score.SaveAsSibelius7 (file.Name, strEditFolderDest);

I removed all the if/else statements as I only need these four
formats, and the mp3 file so I don't need it to ask me questions.

I saw that you wrote the script that I'm editing. It's such a great
script. It's saving me hours of clicking buttons and staring at the
screen. :-) Thank you for that. :-)

Best wishes,

Jen

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 20:00, Bob Zawalich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you install the Install New Plugin plugin, which is really easier than
> copying into the plugin folders, you will find that on Windows at least it
> works best I you place your unzipped .plg file on the desktop, because that
> is the only place the plugin can  look for it. On a Mac, I am not really
> sure where it looks first. You can put it anywhere you want, of course and
> just find it with the dialog browser, but it fill find it right off on the
> desktop.

Bob Zawalich-3
I note that ExportScoreAsPDF is the property of Avid. In general no one
cares if you modify a plugin for your own use, but you should not distribute
it without getting permission from the copyright holder.

There are a number of plugins that I have put into the public domain, and
you are free to modify or adapt any of those without attribution or
restrictions.

Here is a list:

These plugins, all written by me, and available on the plugin download page,
have been explicitly made public domain and may be modified at will without
attribution:

MinimumPlugin
MinimumPluginMultiScores.
RunPluginOnFolderOfScores
DyFromNote
ShowBarnumMinimal
TraceDuplicateBarNumbers
ShowHideInstrumentNames
ImportDocLayoutStyle
FindEditedShippingPlugins
SimplifyPartNames

Also, the custom Filter/Find plugins are designed to be easily modified, and
might be a good place to start looking. They are intended to be
self-documenting.

Custom Filter
Custom Find
Custom Note Filter
Custom System Filter

I will put the custom filter and finds explicitly into the public domain at
some point.

I am getting by at the moment by just editing one of the existing scripts. I
only need to do tiny edits, so it works fine so far.

I'm just editing ExportFolderAsPDF.plg to say:

score.SaveAs(file.Name, "Midi");
score.ExportScoreAsPDF(strFullPath);
score.ExportPartsAsPDF(strFullPath, True, 0, False);
score.SaveAsSibelius7 (file.Name, strEditFolderDest);

I removed all the if/else statements as I only need these four formats, and
the mp3 file so I don't need it to ask me questions.

I saw that you wrote the script that I'm editing. It's such a great script.
It's saving me hours of clicking buttons and staring at the screen. :-)
Thank you for that. :-)

Best wishes,

Jen

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 20:00, Bob Zawalich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you install the Install New Plugin plugin, which is really easier
> than copying into the plugin folders, you will find that on Windows at
> least it works best I you place your unzipped .plg file on the
> desktop, because that is the only place the plugin can  look for it.
> On a Mac, I am not really sure where it looks first. You can put it
> anywhere you want, of course and just find it with the dialog browser,
> but it fill find it right off on the desktop.

Thanks, that's really good to know about the copyright rules for the
two kinds of scripts. I'm definitely not distributing the modified
script that I am using. I'm the only person here who is doing the file
processing work and nobody else uses scripts here. It's just to make
my own work a bit easier.

Thanks for showing me the public domain ones. That will really be such
a help. I used to work in public domain bioinformatics, and am very
keen on open access science publications. It's really great that you
are willing to put your scripts in the public domain like that.

Jen