PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Louis Sumberg
For my second plugin, I'm looking at addressing a gripe I brought up
some time ago about viewing and editing version comments.  So I thought
I would try to roll my own.

A Comment can be a long line or several lines of text.  I am wondering
if there's a way for the user to type or edit multi-line text.  It seems
that a static text wraps the text, but it's read-only.  It seems that a
textedit doesn't support linewrap and doesn't allow line breaks, even if
there's no default button.

Is there a way to do this?

-- Louis

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Ed-7
When you go into "versions" there is a text box that allows you to edit
comments very simply.  You may want to experiment with that first.

Ed Hirschman

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

No. Text Edits are not multiline and there is really nothing you can do
about it.

You can store non editable multiple line  as text or as entries in a list
box. You can have a series of edit boxes. You can play games combing edits
and list boxes, but there are no multi line edits.

I believe that Mac Edits *were* multi line prior to Sib 6, but there were
complaints about using Enter when the focus was in an edit and not closing
the dialog. At any rate, Windows edits have been single line forever.

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

dspreadbury
Administrator
Louis Sumberg wrote:
 > A Comment can be a long line or several lines of text. I am wondering if
 > there's a way for the user to type or edit multi-line text. It seems
 > that a static text wraps the text, but it's read-only. It seems that a
 > textedit doesn't support linewrap and doesn't allow line breaks, even if
 > there's no default button.

No, the edit control in ManuScript is single-line only and doesn't
support line breaks.

--
Daniel Spreadbury
Senior Product Manager | Sibelius R & D

Avid
Unit 20-23 City North
Fonthill Road
London N4 3HF
United Kingdom
[hidden email]

t +44 (0)20 7561 7915   |  m +44 (0)7990 558997   |  f +44 (0)20 7561 7888

Sibelius is Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com <http://www.avid.com/>

Avid Technology Europe Limited is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered No.: 2670844.
Registered Office: Pinewood Studios, Pinewood Road, Iver Heath, Bucks
SL0 0NH, England

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Louis Sumberg
Absent a control, the only thing I can think of is to have 2 methods,
convertMultiToLine and convertLineToMulti which take a string, convert
the string delimiters to "\n", present the multi-line string as a long
single string, which can be edited, then converted back.  Wow, that'd be
more primitive than VolksWriter, but I suppose I would use it myself.

-- Louis

p.s. It seems there's about an hour and a half between sending and
receiving my own email here.  If so, I think I understand what the
comments about throughput are about.

Ed wrote:
> When you go into "versions" there is a text box that allows you to edit
> comments very simply.  You may want to experiment with that first.
>
> Ed Hirschman

Thanks, Ed.  The builtin File>Versions>Edit Versions dialog box is very
powerful and provides access to everything in the whole versioning
scheme.  I'm finding that for myself, a different view would provide a
simple interface to how I use versioning.  Hence, the question about
tools available for the developer, in order to create that different view.

I would love to have access to additional Windows controls.  I have no
idea what the issues are regarding cross-platform development, but I
would think that for basic editing and list presentation, it shouldn't
be difficult.  However, I also see/sense there hasn't been any need for
this to date.

-- Louis

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Louis Sumberg
Hi Bob,
> No. Text Edits are not multiline and there is really nothing you can do
> about it.

Yeah, I kinda get that now.  Thanks, Bob.  The gyrations you mentioned,
those I'll skip :)
> At any rate, Windows edits have been single line forever.

And Windows has provided an API to multiline editing and listviews for
ages.  I can get by with a single line textedit for myself, but I
wouldn't consider sharing the plugin :)

-- Louis

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Hans-Christoph Wirth
Louis Sumberg schrieb:

> A Comment can be a long line or several lines of text.  I am wondering
> if there's a way for the user to type or edit multi-line text.  It seems
> that a static text wraps the text, but it's read-only.  It seems that a
> textedit doesn't support linewrap and doesn't allow line breaks, even if
> there's no default button.
>
> Is there a way to do this?

If you want the text to appear later rendered by Sibelius on the output
page, you can work with the Formatting type properties of text objects:
insert sequences like \n\ to get a newline.

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Edit control and StaticText control

Yeah, it reminds me of the old days when I wrote programs on 80 column cards
and dropped them off in a  bin and waited several hours to find that I had a
syntax error.

expect that multiple answers will criss cross on this list. It is kind of
hard to actually maintain a conversation or even know what the reply refers
to.

I always include the post I am answering so there is at least some sense of
a thread, but it is still rather awkward.

Lots of knowledgeable folks on the list, though...