PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

Stefan Behrisch
hi you dear plugin developers,

too bad my available time for programming has now vanished completely.
however i have a little idea for a plugin, and i'd like to present it here
in case anyone would like to attempt it.

idea: checking a score/passage for the unlogical use of articulations
after ties. that means: say you have a row of tied notes. now an e.g.
accent should only be on the first of these notes, and never on any of the
latter ones. this should work for any articulations, also e.g. the o for
harmonics.
a more wide version of the plugin could even check for unlogical uses of
articulations in general: e.g. a staccato on a whole note doesn't make
much sense...

i'm curious if you will make something out of this. please let me know, if
you do!

all the best, stefan

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

musictranscriber
Stefan,
   Really cool idea. I have written two plugins, one is available on the Sibelius Plugins Download page "Create Custom Articulations/Bowings", and Hide Articulations (which just encodes them so they can be deleted and created). But I am pretty sure with the existing code I can make a really nice articulation proofreading engine. A while back, one also on the download page, I made one that checks for suspect mute/open markings (which is baed on articulations among other things (like English or Italian text)).
   I have been working on some lengthy plugins, this would be a welcomed break for a second in time. I am going to try my hand at it. Great idea.

Regards,
The Music Transcriber
Roman Molino Dunn
http://musictranscriber.xbuild.com
http://www.homosynchrono.com
610-392-4807

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

musictranscriber
Prof Articulations: Right now I have the plugin checking user set maximum and minimum note durations for articulations 1 through 15.  I also have them being able to check if any of those articulations are being tied into. I have it right now set to either remove found case, locate and remove, or just locate. Stefan, was there anything else you were thinking of proofing for?

Regards,
The Music Transcriber
Roman Molino Dunn
http://musictranscriber.xbuild.com
http://www.homosynchrono.com
610-392-4807

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

musictranscriber
Finishing up the Proof Articulations Plugin that Stefan had the idea for (pretty cool idea, utility yet musical). The dialog is getting quite large (I really want to avoid multiple dialogs...), so I was wondering what people thought about have a dialog that is 500 to 520 in height. Is this just to big? I fear it might be...

Regards,
The Music Transcriber
Roman Molino Dunn
http://musictranscriber.xbuild.com
http://www.homosynchrono.com
610-392-4807

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

Dan Rugman
Definitely too big.

The bottom of the dialog will be below the bottom edge of a screen with a resolution of 1024x768 and Sibelius does allow this resolution.

Also, don't forget the task bar. Vista might do that clever vanishing thing but XP doesn't, and there are still a large number of XP users out there. Strange that!
A height of about 455 just puts the bottom edge above the top of the task bar if it is set to one row of icons only, but you can't guarantee that the user won't have two rows on the Task bar.

Always play safe.

Dan Rugman

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

Hans-Christoph Wirth
On Wednesday, 16. September 2009 10:55:43 Dan Rugman wrote:

> A height of about 455 just puts the bottom edge above the top of the
> task bar if it is set to one row of icons only, but you can't
> guarantee that the user won't have two rows on the Task bar.

The height of the XP task bar depends also on user configurable font
sizes etc.

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Idea for Plugin

Eliot Glaser
Actually, XP does allow you to set the task bar to vanish.  I suppose
the reason there are a lot of XP users still around is that their
computers are still running just fine, thank you.

*Eliot Glaser - Composer / Performer*
"To sing is to be."
www.musicforyourcelebration.com
www.eliotglaser.com

Dan Rugman wrote:

> Definitely too big.
>
> The bottom of the dialog will be below the bottom edge of a screen
> with a resolution of 1024x768 and Sibelius does allow this resolution.
>
> Also, don't forget the task bar. Vista might do that clever vanishing
> thing but XP doesn't, and there are still a large number of XP users
> out there. Strange that!
> A height of about 455 just puts the bottom edge above the top of the
> task bar if it is set to one row of icons only, but you can't
> guarantee that the user won't have two rows on the Task bar.
>
> Always play safe.
>
> Dan Rugman

Thanks for the Dialog Size responses. It was just small enough to fit on my Windows Vista (although it was runnning in an emulation window...), and I was using an external monitor that is quite large. But it is funny, do any of you programmers out there use Mac?
   Anyway, my fears were confirmed, it is just too big of a dialog size. It actually forced me to come up with a more inventive approach. Thanks for all of the responses, and look forward to sharing this realization of Stefan's idea.

If anyone else has any suggestions about what is worth proofing about articulations, feel free to let me know. I have it right now proofing artics based on min and max note durations (user specified), ties (if you allow certain artics to occured on a note that is tied into or don't allow, you can specify), bowing checking (count bowings, locate suspect bowing sequences), and fermata checking (if there is a fermata of any type in in one staff, all other staves should have one in that bar too). And finally, a nested slur engine (it was a separate plugin, but slurs are essentially articulations, so I built it in - no more overlapping slurs and no more string players trying to figure out what you meant...) Any other thoughts?

Dan Rugman wrote:

> Definitely too big.
>  The bottom of the dialog will be below the bottom edge of a screen with a resolution of 1024x768 and Sibelius does allow this resolution.
>  Also, don't forget the task bar. Vista might do that clever vanishing thing but XP doesn't, and there are still a large number of XP users out there. Strange that!
> A height of about 455 just puts the bottom edge above the top of the task bar if it is set to one row of icons only, but you can't guarantee that the user won't have two rows on the Task bar.
>  Always play safe.
>  Dan Rugman
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for the dialog size responses. I now have my dialog down to 478 in height. Does anyone think this still might be problematic on some computers enough to make it smaller?

Also, the dialog now has about 102 controls, it seems on my Windows Vista emulator it displays perfect, yet on Mac OS 10.4.2 it fails to show more than 96 controls... glitch?

Dan Rugman wrote:

> Definitely too big.
>  The bottom of the dialog will be below the bottom edge of a screen with a resolution of 1024x768 and Sibelius does allow this resolution.
>  Also, don't forget the task bar. Vista might do that clever vanishing thing but XP doesn't, and there are still a large number of XP users out there. Strange that!
> A height of about 455 just puts the bottom edge above the top of the task bar if it is set to one row of icons only, but you can't guarantee that the user won't have two rows on the Task bar.
>  Always play safe.
>  Dan Rugman

Daniel Leo Simpson
Hi - whats the "unsubscribe" link for this plug-ing page?