PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

Alexis Baskind-3
Hi all,

I am working on a microtonal transposition tool, and am facing a major
problem, i.e. it seems impossible to write quarter-tones using
manuscript. My problem would be solved if at least one of the following
actions was possible:

. transpose with microtonal intervals (a microtonal version of
Note.Transpose function)
. add a quarter-tone accidental to an existing note (like keypad 6 does)
. create a new note with a quarter-tone pitch

If someone has a clue for one of these, it would be of great help to me.

alexis baskind

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

Bob Zawalich
Sorry, but there is no way in ManuScript to create quartertones. One can
only recognize them by looking at the Name field - they end with a + or -.

So none of the actions you would like are available.

Apparently Sibelius itself has the information required, but it is not
exposed to ManuScript.

I have requested the ability to create these; probably others have as well.
But for now,  there is no way to create one.

I believe that if you start with a quartertone you can transpose it by
semitones, with note.Transpose, if that is good enough.

I suppose there might be some possibility of creating a score that has all
possible quartertones, and use cut and paste to add notes. You could provide
the score with quartertones and possibly get away with that. I don't know
how that would work with chords, but you might be able to work something up.

But you cannot create a quartertone nor transpose a non quartertone into a
quartertone.

If you really need to do it though, some of the other techniques may serve.

Good luck!

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

mandyshaw
Hi, is anyone from Sibelius able to give us an idea of their plans for
extension of ManuScript? Obviously the below is a gap in the current
support, as is the lack of exposure of the Play/Repeats menu functionality.
Thanks
Mandy

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

Alexis Baskind-3
Hi Bob,

That what I was afraid of. I also noticed as you suggest that Note.
Transpose keeps quartertones when the source note has one. So the only
solution is as you propose to provide another hidden score with the
plugin with only 1 note (for example C+), since all quartertones may be
retrieved from it. But it's really nasty.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully Sibelius will evolve soon in handling
microtones in general (eighth-tones are still not considered as
accidentals for instance), but I doubt of it.

Alexis

Le 09/06/10 09:34, Bob Zawalich a écrit :

> Sorry, but there is no way in ManuScript to create quartertones. One can
> only recognize them by looking at the Name field - they end with a + or -.
>
> So none of the actions you would like are available.
>
> Apparently Sibelius itself has the information required, but it is not
> exposed to ManuScript.
>
> I have requested the ability to create these; probably others have as well.
> But for now,  there is no way to create one.
>
> I believe that if you start with a quartertone you can transpose it by
> semitones, with note.Transpose, if that is good enough.
>
> I suppose there might be some possibility of creating a score that has all
> possible quartertones, and use cut and paste to add notes. You could provide
> the score with quartertones and possibly get away with that. I don't know
> how that would work with chords, but you might be able to work something up.
>

> But you cannot create a quartertone nor transpose a non quartertone into a
> quartertone.
>
> If you really need to do it though, some of the other techniques may serve.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Bob

PLUGIN-DEV: New downloadable plug-in: Backup Plug-in for Developers

Ed-7
A new plug-in for Sibelius 6, "Backup Plug-in for Developers", is available
for free download at
http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=303

This plug-in allows plug-in authors to create multiple backup snapshots
throughout the plug-in development process.   Snapshots are useful to have
when recent code changes impair/break your plug-in, and you can't or don't
wish to spend time fixing the newly introduced errors.

Thanks to Bob Zawalich for use of some code, concepts and variable names
from his Export Each Staff as Audio plug-in.

Thanks to Roman Molino Dunn for Mac testing and suggestions on how to make
the plug-in more user-friendly.

Regards,

Ed Hirschman

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: New downloadable plug-in: Backup Plug-in for Developers

musictranscriber
Awesome Ed!!!

Regards,
  The Music Transcriber
  Roman Molino Dunn
  http://www.themusictranscriber.com
  http://www.themusictranscriber.com/plugin-store
  173 Ave C
  New York, New York 10009
  610-392-4807

Any message sent by The Music Transcriber is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected. If you receive it in error please inform us and then delete it from your system. The information in this email and any attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without authorization from the addressee. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. Messages sent to and from The Music Transcriber may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not guaranteed to be secure and therefor cannot be guaranteed to be error free. Anyone who communicates with us by email is assumed to have taken to accept these risks. If you are not the intended addressee, or feel you have received this message by mistake, or simply no longer wish to communicate, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message.

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: New downloadable plug-in: Backup Plug-in for Developers

Ed-7
Thanks Roman for all your help.  I have a few enhancements I'll be working on and Bob has given me some new ideas to consider.  If anyone else has any feedback or wish list items,  please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

[...]

PLUGIN-DEV: ManuScript future plans?

mandyshaw
Hi, is anyone from Sibelius able to give us an idea of their plans for
extension of ManuScript?

I would like to be able to retrieve a manually entered playback bar
sequence.

I'd also like to be able to set 'No Repeats' on (I can delete repeats via
ManuScript, but if a manually entered playback bar sequence is present, my
ManuScript obviously has no effect).

Also, I would like ManuScript to expose the duration of a bar for a specific
playback pass number.

I know all of these have been mentioned before, as have other requirements,
but it would be very helpful to know whether or not these are on Sibelius'
ManuScript wish list for future development.

Thanks
Mandy

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: ManuScript future plans?

dspreadbury
Administrator
Mandy Shaw wrote:

>  I would like to be able to retrieve a manually entered playback bar
>  sequence.

This wasn't previously on our wish list, but I'll add it.

>  I'd also like to be able to set 'No Repeats' on (I can delete repeats
>  via ManuScript, but if a manually entered playback bar sequence is
>  present, my ManuScript obviously has no effect).

Likewise.

>  Also, I would like ManuScript to expose the duration of a bar for a
>  specific playback pass number.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.  Can you be a bit more
specific as to what you want to do?

--
Daniel Spreadbury
Senior Product Manager | P&S Creative Enthusiasts, Sibelius

*Avid*
The Old Toy Factory
20-22 City North
London N4 3HF
United Kingdom
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

t +44 (0)20 7561 7915   |  m +44 (0)7990 558997   |  f +44 (0)20 7561 7888

*We're Avid.*  Learn more at www.avid.com<http://www.avid.com>

Avid Technology Europe Limited is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered No.: 2670844.
Registered Office: Pinewood Studios, Pinewood Road, Iver Heath, Bucks
SL0 0NH, England

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: ManuScript future plans?

mandyshaw
Daniel - many apologies for not replying sooner to the below, but I wanted
to do a bit more research first.

I have been working on, effectively, the automated retrieval of timecodes.

I've used two different techniques:
A) Bar.Time plus analysis and manipulation of repeats;
B) 'from scratch' calculation using CurrentTempo and other Bar and BarObject
attributes.

There are quite a few issues I'd like to raise beyond (and hopefully
clarifying) those I mentioned in August - I would be grateful if you could
let me know if any of these additional matters are currently 'on the list'.
Obviously, if some of these are already covered and I haven't spotted it,
apologies and please point me in the right direction.

1) Bar.Time values seem incorrect if repeats are switched on. Say you have a
piece with bars 1-10 repeated, each 1500 millisec long, and with a time
signature change at the beginning of bar 11, subsequent bars being 1000
millisec long. Bar.Time should ignore the repeats - it makes no sense for it
to take them into account, because there is no way that we can specify which
playthrough number we are after. Thus Bar.Time should give
1:0,2:1500,3:3000,...,11:15000,12:16000,13:17000, etc. If repeats are
switched on, it actually gives
1:0,2:1500,3:3000,...,11:15000,12:16500,13:18000, etc. This would be fine if
there were any equivalent to NthBar(barNumber) that was playback sequence
sensitive, but in the current scheme of things it is surely plain wrong (bug
in ManuScript?)

2) For the same reason you cannot retrieve bar duration in millisec for
subsequent playthrough of bar if different from first playthrough (lots of
examples - see comment re relative metronome mark below for just one
example) (request for modification to ManuScript - hopefully this clarifies
the third point on my August list below)

3) Section end is not exposed (request for modification to ManuScript)

4) Setting of Gap on section end? option is not exposed (request for
modification to ManuScript)

5) Manual repeats always adds 4 crotchets' gap at end of playback (bug in
Sibelius?). May of course vary from 4 crotchets, but that seems correct in
my testing so far

6) Number of crotchets' gap on final barline not exposed (request for
modification to ManuScript)

7) Repeats radio button not exposed (as mentioned in August - thank you for
adding this to the list)

8) Manual Repeats sequence not exposed (as mentioned in August - thank you
for adding this to the list - N.B. it would be really useful to be able to
retrieve the default sequence even if Automatic Repeats is set)

9) Relative metronome mark on Start Repeat is processed again second time
round, i.e.  Q.=Q squared (bug in Sibelius?)

10) CurrentTempo would be better reported to more than 2 decimal places -
rounding errors can mount up badly over course of a long score (request for
modification to ManuScript)

11) CurrentTempo is obviously beats per minute. It would be far more use if
you could expose crotchet=256 'time units' per minute, or alternatively if
we could retrieve what the beat length was in 'time units' at any given
position - at the moment I have to do quite a lot of processing to ascertain
this (request for modification to ManuScript)

12) Please expose, or at least document, which Tempo settings automatically
affect the speed (request for modification to ManuScript, or documentation
somewhere). The ones available via right click on Create>Text>Tempo clearly
all have an effect, but so does 'Slow', for example - are there others?

13) Showing timecodes allows me to check my logic and is very useful, but
these also are not exposed in ManuScript (request for possible modification
to ManuScript)

Thanks
Mandy

>  I would like to be able to retrieve a manually entered playback bar
> sequence.

This wasn't previously on our wish list, but I'll add it.

>  I'd also like to be able to set 'No Repeats' on (I can delete repeats
> via ManuScript, but if a manually entered playback bar sequence is
> present, my ManuScript obviously has no effect).

Likewise.

>  Also, I would like ManuScript to expose the duration of a bar for a
> specific playback pass number.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.  Can you be a bit more specific
as to what you want to do?

--
Daniel Spreadbury
Senior Product Manager | P&S Creative Enthusiasts, Sibelius

*Avid*
The Old Toy Factory
20-22 City North
London N4 3HF
United Kingdom
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

t +44 (0)20 7561 7915   |  m +44 (0)7990 558997   |  f +44 (0)20 7561 7888

*We're Avid.*  Learn more at www.avid.com<http://www.avid.com>

Avid Technology Europe Limited is a limited company registered in England
and Wales. Registered No.: 2670844.
Registered Office: Pinewood Studios, Pinewood Road, Iver Heath, Bucks SL0
0NH, England

Re: RE: PLUGIN-DEV: ManuScript future plans?

Neil Sands-3

Mandy

Section end at least is exposed. New in Sibelius 6.2 I think.

Neil

On 1 Nov 2010 11:00, "Mandy Shaw" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> modification to ManuScript)
>
> 11) CurrentTempo is obviously beats per minute. It would be far more use if
> you could expose crotchet=256 'time units' per minute, or alternatively if
> we could retrieve what the beat length was in 'time units' at any given
> position - at the moment I have to do quite a lot of processing to ascertain
> this (request for modification to ManuScript)
>
> 12) Please expose, or at least document, which Tempo settings automatically
> affect the speed (request for modification to ManuScript, or documentation
> somewhere). The ones available via right click on Create>Text>Tempo clearly
> all have an effect, but so does 'Slow', for example - are there others?
>
> 13) Showing timecodes allows me to check my logic and is very useful, but
> these also are not exposed in ManuScript (request for possible modification

murat
Headache with the same problem. Note object has an Accidental property which seem to be read only according to the manual (page 90). If this was arranged as read/write, it would solve our problem. Then, on page 157, you can see the values of various accidentals. I guess this information is stored under something like a C++ struct. So, the only thing to do for the Sibelius programmers is to add the 4 missing quarter tones to this struct. And also make the Accidental property read/write. That simple!

For now, I am trying to mark those notes for the user to put the quarter tone sharps manually, then I will inform the user about this action when the plugin finishes. Really not a good solution, but have no choice.

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

Bob Zawalich
Yes, a plugin cannot create quartertones. The only way to detect them is to
look at the name/written name and find the ones that end in "+" or "-".

A long time ago James Larcombe told me that only a portion of the
accidentals data was made available to plugins because it would be easy to
really mess things up.

As far as I know there is no way in a plugin  to create a quartertone. It
seems to me I once experimented with starting with a score that had
quartertones in it, and  cutting and pasting from it into the score where I
wanted to create the quartertones was.  Possibly if you start from a
quartertone you could also transpose to the pitch you wanted to use.

If I really needed to do this, I might try an approach like I used with the
Colored Notehead Styles plugin: set up a score with 1 note per bar with all
legal pitches and all reasonable durations, and all quartertones, and use
that as a database to copy and paste from. Create a dictionary at the start
of the plugin and stick a search string and the note into the dictionary.

It would be a largish but certainly finite score.

Or make up a score with fewer notes and rely on transposing for the pitches.

But at any rate there is no easy way to do it, and I have never written a
plugin to would create quartertones.

Good luck

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Sibelius 6.2: add quarter-tone accidentals

murat
Thanks Bob,

I finished my plugin. Did it as exactly I told in my previous message. Then, saw your message.

Your idea of qt notes database is very interesting. Inspired me for an idea, but in order to make it work, I need to store a score as a database, and for distribution I have to find a way to make sure that score is installed in the right folder as well. If this sounds possible, then, for example, I can write all kinds of quarter tones (actually I only need the sharps for my plug-in, that will do the job) as one note per bar in the database score with a pitch of C4 and a quarter note duration (no need to write ll possible durations and pitches); then, I can transpose it and modify its duration according to the original score. But possible problem with this idea is: will the script be able to open a new file (the database file), find the quarter tone, copy it, close the file, switch back to the right score (there may be several scores that the user is working on) and paste from clipboard into that score each time it needs to generate a quarter tone?

But, another solution might be: if it was possible to install our database of quarter tones into the ideas library, we could read back from there, and I guess this way is fast enough to work with. I'll work on this in the next few days.

Thanks again for the idea. I'll keep everyone informed about this.

Murat