PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

Jeff Harrington
Hi, I've been lurking for years learning little bits here and there and
I've finally found a need to write a little plugin.  I've been working
on some piano music, and I need the ability to create a bar of music of
arbitrary length (specified by user).  I'm not sure if I need to create
a 128/4 bar (say one bar which would be the equivalent of 32 bars)  or
is there an easier way?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff
http://jeffharrington.org

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

Bob Zawalich
You might take a look at the existing Draw Free Rhythm Barline plugin,
written by Neil Sands. It has you enter notes in a large bar (128/4) and
then you want call it with a keystroke to create a bar at the point where
you called it.

The effect is to be able to write as if the bar was of variable size until
you decide to give it a size. It might be what you are actually trying to
do.

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

Jeff Harrington
Thanks Bob, not only is that what I was looking for, it's more than I
ever imagined creating.  I'll have to get off my a** and check out
existing plugins...

Jeff

Bob Zawalich wrote:

> You might take a look at the existing Draw Free Rhythm Barline plugin,
> written by Neil Sands. It has you enter notes in a large bar (128/4) and
> then you want call it with a keystroke to create a bar at the point where
> you called it.
>
> The effect is to be able to write as if the bar was of variable size until
> you decide to give it a size. It might be what you are actually trying to
> do.
>
> bob

A Daniel says, there are 250 or so plugins on the download page. I also
count 135 files in the shipping plugins folders.

A lot of things that can be done have in fact already been done, but I, for
one, keep finding new things to do, and I expect you can too!

Bob Zawalich wrote:

> You might take a look at the existing Draw Free Rhythm Barline plugin,
> written by Neil Sands. It has you enter notes in a large bar (128/4) and
> then you want call it with a keystroke to create a bar at the point where
> you called it.
>
> The effect is to be able to write as if the bar was of variable size until
> you decide to give it a size. It might be what you are actually trying to
> do.
>
> bob

Neil Sands-3
> Thanks Bob, not only is that what I was looking for, it's more than I ever imagined creating.

I'm glad this has hit the spot Jeff. You can use it with time
signatures displayed or not displayed, and if they're displayed, you
can convince it to work in quavers or semiquavers if you prefer (e.g.
a 3/4 bar might be shown as 6/8 or 12/16 etc). You can also get it to
split bars that you've already written at the selected note, and if
there are tuplets on other staves, it'll rewrite those into two
separate tuplets so that the barline can come between them.

Neil
------
Please note my new email address
Nodwch fy nghyfeiriad ebost newydd

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

Jeff Harrington
Yeah, this really works well.  The docs were clear.  It's going to really change my composing manner.

I think I may have found a bug, though.  I have a lot of music (about 10 bars) in 124/4 measures and I'd subdivided the beginning into a few 39/4 or so measures and then had added 4 or 5 39/4 measures.  When I was shutting down for the evening I noticed that all of the music at the end had been 'pushed' off.  That is, it was gone.  It seems like if there aren't blank measures at the end and you add measures and then subdivide, music can get pushed off...  hope that makes sense, I haven't tested that hypothesis, it's just a theory.  I'll just have a bunch of blank measures at the end for now.

Jeff
http://jeffharrington.org

Neil Sands wrote:
Thanks Bob, not only is that what I was looking for, it's more than I ever imagined creating.

I'm glad this has hit the spot Jeff. You can use it with time
signatures displayed or not displayed, and if they're displayed, you
can convince it to work in quavers or semiquavers if you prefer (e.g.
a 3/4 bar might be shown as 6/8 or 12/16 etc). You can also get it to
split bars that you've already written at the selected note, and if
there are tuplets on other staves, it'll rewrite those into two
separate tuplets so that the barline can come between them.

Neil
------
Please note my new email address
Nodwch fy nghyfeiriad ebost newydd

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Simple Utility for Creating a Gigantic One Bar Measure

Neil Sands-3
Hmm.

The trouble is, the plugin has to divide a 124/4 bar into something
that's almost always much smaller, e.g. 4/4. If you try that in
Sibelius proper, you'll find that you don't end up with 2 bars after
the operation, but 31, because the whole of the 124/4 bar is rebarred.
Then the 124/4 time signature gets restored in the after the barline
you wanted inserted, so you've got 31 empty 124/4 bars. And the plugin
deletes those bars before you've noticed they're there, and from the
sounds of things, the music you already had in 124/4 bars is getting
caught up in that. Sorry.

I think, if you don't have any 124/4 bars of your own, that nothing
should go missing. I'll take a look at this.

Thanks.
Neil

------
Please note my new email address
Nodwch fy nghyfeiriad ebost newydd

PLUGIN-DEV: Question about AddGraphic

Ed-7
I am working on a new plug in which uses the AddGraphic Method.  When I add
the graphic using the plug-in I wrote, I must set the scale factor to .36 in
order for it to match the size of same graphic added manually in Sibelius
using Create>Graphic.  Shouldn't the scaling factor provide a match when set
to 1 instead?

When I repeat the process with another graphic, the .36 scaling factor is
not correct to get a match in size between the plug-in inserted graphic and
manually inserted graphic.  I'm not sure why a scaling factor is needed at
all, but if it is, I'd like it to be consistent across the board, not
tweaked for each graphic file I insert.  Any ideas?

Regards,

Ed Hirschman
[hidden email]
www.artofsoundmusic.com

PLUGIN-DEV: ManuScript on the Sib tech page

If you don't get over to the tech support chat list, there have been a few
manuscript related threads lately. This one might be interesting:
http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=469
091&groupid=3&#469232

bob