PLUGIN-DEV: Tuplet Conversion

Jeff Harrington
I'm writing some rhythmically complex piano music and I need some
advice.  I've got running triplets against quadruplets and they both get
sub-divided from time to time.  I'm writing it in a complex very dotted
and without tuplets manner, but I need to convert it, when the piece is
finished, to triplets against quadruplets for ease of reading and
practice.

Is there any plugin that can convert this?  I was considering trying to
dump it to a MIDI file and then adjust how it's imported?  I can hack
MIDI files with a Perl library I have, also.  Would it be feasible to
write a Manuscript script that turned dotted sixteenth notes into eighth
notes and eighth notes into eighth note triplets?

Any suggestions are much appreciated,

Jeff Harrington
http://jeffharrington.org

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Tuplet Conversion

Andreas Beschorner
Hi Jeff,

I somehow can't find the thread in the forum. However,
there are some things to consider:

1) The change implies a quantization: WHERE shall those
be applied to preferedly: End, Middle, Start or wherever in the
output tuplet? Might be a parameter to choice for the user?

2) The longer the parts to be converted, the mor complex the problem gets.
If you are a computer scientist: Have you considered whether the problem
is NP-hard under any circumstances? I immediately think that long passages
might be!

3) When it comes to stacked tuplets: What depth? This will be
the crucial point, I think, concerning the NP-hard thingy and complexity.

4) Please, stick to pure (not dotted) notes within the tuplets.

>Would it be feasible to
>write a Manuscript script that turned dotted sixteenth notes into eighth
>notes and eighth notes into eighth note triplets
Dou you think of non-stacked tuplets in this special case? If so, it should
not be a complicated thing, but not withous dotted notes within the tuplets
(which for non stacked ones is ok)

5) KEEP THE MUSICIANS IN MIND! Ferneyhough is fun to hear and his scores
are impressive, but at least 98% of those complex compositions are played
slightly to quite inaccurate.

Feel free to contact me again and I hope I was of (initial) help.

Atb,
Andreas

-----