PLUGIN-DEV: Vertical and text measurement

PLUGIN-DEV: Vertical and text measurement

Eliot Glaser
I just wrote a simple plugin to add organ division indications
consisting of a vertical bracket and some text.  Am I correct in
assuming there is no way to determine the distance between two staves in
a score (although the default space between staves is available from
Sibelius.ActiveScore.EngravingRules.SpacesBetweenStaves)?  Also, I can't
seem to find any way of determining the dimensions of a piece of text.
Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Eliot

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Vertical and text measurement

musictranscriber
Eliot,
   If you could find staff spacing, I am sure one of us would have come up with optimize staff spacing before Sibelius. I know that was a dream of mine since my first plugin. I am pretty sure there is still currently no way to get such measurements. They have finally gotten around to recognizing the system as a creature worthy of being added to ManuScript. Granted each system is not an object, but some of the new bar properties hint the system as an object. But at this time it seems that there is no way of knowing specific staff spacing...

As for text dimensions, what are you trying to deduce? You can currently find out a whole lot about text, how long the string is, the font and formatting, style, etc. What specifically are you hoping to find out about your 'piece' of text?

Regards,
The Music Transcriber
Roman Molino Dunn
http://musictranscriber.xbuild.com
610-392-4807

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: Vertical and text measurement

Eliot Glaser
Roman:

I'm placing a vertical bracket before the notes where an organ division
change occurs and want to put the division name text immediately to its
left.  The only way I can find to accomplish this currently is to create
a special text style which is right justified and move the division name
over a little bit so it doesn't collide with the bracket.  Since most
fonts are not monospaced and the division text is unknown, there's no
way to accurately calculate its placement because I don't know how much
space the text takes graphically.

What I'm in essence trying to do is create a labeled vertical bracket
that spans two staves because I got kind of tired putting them in by
hand.  The problems are that 1) there's no way for ManuScript to
determine the distance between staves, even for a multi-stave instrument
like the organ and 2) it doesn't seem that I can create custom lines to
do what I want either, necessitating the workaround I've already described.

Eliot

Transcriber OfMusic wrote:

> Eliot,
>    If you could find staff spacing, I am sure one of us would have
> come up with optimize staff spacing before Sibelius. I know that was a
> dream of mine since my first plugin. I am pretty sure there is still
> currently no way to get such measurements. They have finally gotten
> around to recognizing the system as a creature worthy of being added
> to ManuScript. Granted each system is not an object, but some of the
> new bar properties hint the system as an object. But at this time it
> seems that there is no way of knowing specific staff spacing...
>
> As for text dimensions, what are you trying to deduce? You can
> currently find out a whole lot about text, how long the string is, the
> font and formatting, style, etc. What specifically are you hoping to
> find out about your 'piece' of text?
>
> Regards,
> The Music Transcriber
> Roman Molino Dunn
> http://musictranscriber.xbuild.com
> 610-392-4807

I note that you can find the number of characters of a piece of text but not the widths of each character, so at best you can make guesses based on the number of characters.

There is no real way to get at the font size of a string either, unless it has been explicitly formatted with a text size and is revealed in TextWithFormatting.

As of 6.1 you can get to resetting the default space above and below a staff and using Optimize Staff Spacing, but while that is a lot more than what we used to have, I know no way to get the spacing between arbitrary staves or between systems.

bob