PLUGIN-DEV: info

Michael Kudirka
name:  Michael Kudirka
work:  developing plug-ins for historical temperaments.
currently engaged in doctoral studies at the University of Southern California.
hardware:  macbook running Mac OSX snow leopard

--
______________________________________
Michael Kudirka

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: info

musictranscriber
Michael,
   Nice to meet you, and looking forward to your plugins. And it's nice to have another mac developer here. We have a whole other bag of worries (dialog designing), so the more the merrier. Welcome to the list!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2010, at 4:48 AM, Michael Kudirka <[hidden email]> wrote:

name:  Michael Kudirka
work:  developing plug-ins for historical temperaments.
currently engaged in doctoral studies at the University of Southern California.
hardware:  macbook running Mac OSX snow leopard

--
______________________________________
Michael Kudirka
Graduate Teaching Assistant
University of Southern California
Thornton School of Music

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: info

Bob Zawalich
Hi, and welcome, Michael.

As Roman mentions, one of the biggest roadblocks for plugin developers on a
Mac is  the dialog editor is not available to you, as it is on Windows.
Plugins that require significant amounts of UI are at very best tedious on a
Mac.

For any of you Mac guys out there: if anyone is capable of producing a
WYSIWIG dialog editor that will run on a Mac, I think it would greatly
liberate people who are developing plugins on that platform. It would be a
very welcome addition.

Of course if Sibelius could do that in such a way as it was integrated into
the system it would be even better, but I've kind of stopped waiting for
that to happen...

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: info

Phil Gaskill
Yeah, I don't know what would be so hard about building a dialog editor for the Mac. <shrug>

But meanwhile, one assumes anyone writing plugins on the Mac is using an Intel Mac, which means it's relatively inexpensive (and a big desktop footprint-saver too) to run Windows on your Mac. Just takes one of several available "virtual machines" like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion (these cost less than $50), plus a full copy of Windows; doesn't require a different computer at all. Install one of your two allowed copies of Sib on the Mac and one on the virtual PC. Done.

--Phil