PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

Jeroen van Veldhuizen
Hi,

Let me introduce myself: my name is Jeroen van Veldhuizen, living in
the Netherlands and currently studying Band Conducting at the
Conservatory of Amsterdam. My main use of Sibelius will be to develop
arrangements for the bands that I will be conducting.

Currently, I am working on a plugin that will export music in Lilypond
format. This is working out quite well, but to create a correct full
score, I want to export the staff grouping: which staffs are combined
with a bracket, subbracket or brace.

Is there a way to retrieve this information? I cannot find anything in
the ManuScript reference manual.

Regards,
Jeroen van Veldhuizen

RE: PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

Michael Good
Dear Jeroen,

Unfortunately, this bracket and brace information is not available to
ManuScript plug-ins.

You can already convert from Sibelius to LilyPond via a 2-step
process: exporting a MusicXML file from Sibelius using our Dolet for
Sibelius plug-in, then importing the MusicXML file into LilyPond using
LilyPond's MusicXML importer. This should be a lot easier than writing
your own converter plug-in. Dolet 5 for Sibelius is available from our
site at:

  http://store.recordare.com/dolet5sib.html

Sincerely,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC
www.recordare.com

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

dspreadbury
Administrator
Jeroen van Veldhuizen wrote:
 > I want to export the staff grouping: which staffs are combined
 > with a bracket, subbracket or brace.
 >
 > Is there a way to retrieve this information? I cannot find anything in
 > the ManuScript reference manual.

I'm afraid this information is currently not accessible to ManuScript,
but it's on our wish list for the future.

--
Daniel Spreadbury
Senior Product Manager | Sibelius R & D

Avid
Unit 20-23 City North
Fonthill Road
London N4 3HF
United Kingdom
[hidden email]

t +44 (0)20 7561 7915   |  m +44 (0)7990 558997   |  f +44 (0)20 7561 7888

Sibelius is Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com <http://www.avid.com/>

Avid Technology Europe Limited is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered No.: 2670844.
Registered Office: Pinewood Studios, Pinewood Road, Iver Heath, Bucks
SL0 0NH, England

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

Matthew Scott
Michael,

My goal in beginning the sib2ly plugin was specifically to bypass
two-step methods as well as the need to purchase an additional piece
of software.  While I am thankful for the service you provide with
Dolet, understand that the need to simplify the conversion process as
well as add to the free solutions available to the public was my goal,
not necessarily my own ease of conversion.  Now that Jeroen has worked
more on the project than I have recently, I'm sure a more official
response is in his hands - however, I feel the need to put my two
cents in.

On the subject at hand, I do feel that having as much information
available to ManuScript as possible would be helpful to the
development community, so I most certainly would vote to have bracket
and brace information made available.

Best,

Matthew Scott

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Michael Good<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Jeroen,
>
> Unfortunately, this bracket and brace information is not available to
> ManuScript plug-ins.
>
> You can already convert from Sibelius to LilyPond via a 2-step
> process: exporting a MusicXML file from Sibelius using our Dolet for
> Sibelius plug-in, then importing the MusicXML file into LilyPond using
> LilyPond's MusicXML importer. This should be a lot easier than writing
> your own converter plug-in. Dolet 5 for Sibelius is available from our
> site at:
>
>  http://store.recordare.com/dolet5sib.html
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael Good
> Recordare LLC
> www.recordare.com

Re: PLUGIN-DEV: new member & plugin question

Andrew Moschou
Hi Jeroen,

I have also been working on a plug-in to export LilyPond. Although my efforts are currently stalled. I would be interested in collaborating with you if you're willing to share.

Bracket information is not available. What we can do is guess what the groups are: We know multistaff keyboard instruments should have a brace, instrument families should be bracketed together and similar instruments within the brackets should have subbracket.

Good luck,
Andrew