Re: Plugin for multiple slurs and hairpins

Re: Plugin for multiple slurs and hairpins

Bob Zawalich-3
Hi Bora,

I am not writing Sibelius plugins any more, except for those that happen to
come out of my own work.

You seem to have access to the developers' list, so  you  can ask other
developers there if they are interested in writing such a plugin, or write
one yourself that does what you want. You might explain there in more detail
what exactly you want to do, and what Fill With Slurs is not doing the way
you want it to. (Hans-Christoph Wirth, who wrote that plugin is no longer
available to do anything with it, though).

Good luck. It is an adventure.

Re: Plugin for multiple slurs and hairpins

Bob Zawalich-3

Hi Bora,

Line Between Notes was written before there were magnetic glisses, when it was very awkward to connect notes with lines because the lines were not positioned with respect to the notes.

In 8.6 and later, Magnetic Glisses are available. These are not Line objects, but rather properties of Note objects, and are an expansion of the Slide property that had been around for a long time. Like a tie, they are attached to the note where the slide originates, and you have no control over the end note to which it attaches. You can drag the “line” end to another note but the playback will be as if it still pointed to its original target.

This is good enough in a lot of situations, and for the most part you don’t need Line Between Notes  (LBN) in 8.6 and later.

I did not rewrite LBN to use magnetic glisses in part because I did not need to, but mostly because the original plugin could specify which notes the line went between (if you select exactly 2 notes), and it has a couple of options for drawing multiple lines if you have a passage selection with multiple notes. It could not do the same things using Magnetic Glisses.

So LBN creates “non-magnetic” Line objects,  and please note that a plugin cannot create a new Line object, it can only use existing ones. It can’t change the playback properties of a Line either, and it has no good way to know which lines are defined in a score. What it *can* do, however, is tell which lines, built-in or user-defined are *used* in a score. LBN will scan for all Lines used in the score and add any that were not in its list to the list. So what you can do with LBN is to draw a normal gliss line between the first 2 notes. Next create a user line based on the gliss line but without the text, and add a copy of it to the score. Now select the rest of the notes and run the plugin again. Your line will now be in the list, so choose it and use Connect Adjacent Notes. Now you can delete the original like you added so it would appear in the list.

This is probably the closest way I can think of for you to get what you are looking for using LBN.

While I was trying this out I found and fixed a crashing bug in the adjacent notes code. It should be on the plugin download page pretty soon (version 01.73.00) so I suggest getting the update.

Cheers

bob