Re: plugin development - Sibelius Editor etc.

Re: plugin development - Sibelius Editor etc.

Bob Zawalich-3

Thomas –

My apologies. I have used ManuScript so long that I tend to see an error message and think: “this is the last line where it know what it was doing” rather than “this is where the error is”, so I really tend to think that the errors were being reported correctly.

The highlighted line is never the line that contains the error. Almost always the error is in the line statement, which may cover more than 1 physical line.

This could be one reason why I tend to use multiple short lines rather than long single lines…

If you use /* */ comments in your method the location is further confused, so I never do that. I have never gone to the trouble of figuring out if those lines are just not counted but if you have several in a method, then at beat you may have to count up all the comment lines, and when you are already trying to figure out an error, it is just not worth the convenience of block commenting to me.

I have code in my text editor that will add or remove // from the start of selected lines but I only bother with that if there is a really big block.

So my experience does match yours, and I don’t think about it at all, so that would be confusing to a new user.

I also use

str = “” & arr[i];   and

num = 0 + global_var;

without thinking about it, and this used to catch me up all the time.

Dictionaries and sparse arrays do not require you to  force assignments to return a value, so I now use them wherever I can (plus dictionaries are absolutely spectacular data structures when you want to sort an array, or do fast lookup, for example) but dialogs can only use old-style arrays and global variables,  so there is really no avoiding “” &

Cheers

bob