new member

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new member

jsp28
Hi,

I wondered if I might introduce myself? I have just joined your list.

 I used to work in Bioinformatics, doing java programming and
ontologies for biomedical research. I then had 9 years as a
stay-at-home Mum, which I still am actually. However, my son has
turned out to be musical and I am trying to help him on in his music
by taking both of us along to a community orchestra. I am also now
helping the orchestra as a volunteer, by doing some of the file
processing of their music, converting .sib files to pdf of the parts
and full score, and to the mp3 and midi files, and putting them up on
the website.

The conductor sends me 5 or 8 or more sib files a week and I'm finding
it much more convenient to batch process the files rather then to
export everything one at a time by the gui. I would like to learn more
about the scripting language in sibelius, partly because I enjoy
scripting and partly because I would like to minimise my workload in
manual file processing as much as possible.

I run Sibelius ultimate on an education licence. I have two computers.
One is a win 7 toshiba laptop with a core 2 duo processer and 3GB of
RAM. The other is a home-built win 10 tower pc with and i7-8700
processor and 32GB ram.

I'd be really glad of any tips on how to figure out that scripting,
because I'm finding the documentation and IDE a bit limited.

Thanks!

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Thomas Weber
Hi Jennifer,

welcome to the club!  Great to see people from community orchestras here who support those often hard working all-in-one-arranger-conductor-manager people.

You're actually right – documentation and especially the "IDE" can be a little underwhelming.  But first things first.

If you want to install one of the plugins listed on the Sibelius website[1], then you should do that via File => Plug-ins => Install Plug-ins.  Make sure in the "Show" dropdown you select "All plug-ins".  (A plug-in list that's much nicer to search that the Sibelius plugin page and the install dialog is made available by NYC Music Services[2].)

If you want to install other plugins, put the PLG files (on Windows) into %appdata%\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins.  Usually, you have sub-folders for different categories there, like Text, Accidentals or Other.  Choose one of those categories or create your own for the plugin.

If you want to write your own plug-ins, you'd "traditionally" write the code in Sibelius' built-in editor.  As you are a developer, you're certainly used to a more more powerful working environments.  There are ways of using proper code editors and proper version control, which are however a little involved to set up.  So for the start, maybe use the built-in editor, and as you progress, you might be interested in some external tools[3][4].

One important thing to be aware of:  Sibelius often (or always??) reports syntax errors on the wrong line.  And ManuScript actually has quite some quirks.  If you can't get something seemingly trivial to work – don't question your sanity, it might just be the language.  There are lists of (some of the) quirks[5], but better only consult them if you have to and not before writing your first piece of ManuScript code.

Happy coding
Thomas


[1] http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/
[2] https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources/#sibelius-plug-ins
[3] https://github.com/tido/plgToMSS/
[4] https://github.com/notengrafik/language-manuscript/
[5] http://sibelius-manuscript-plug-in-developers.3224780.n2.nabble.com/Hans-Christoph-Wirth-s-document-Manuscript-Quirks-td7573089.html


Am 23.01.19 um 15:24 schrieb Jennifer Deegan:

> Hi,
>
> I wondered if I might introduce myself? I have just joined your list.
>
>  I used to work in Bioinformatics, doing java programming and
> ontologies for biomedical research. I then had 9 years as a
> stay-at-home Mum, which I still am actually. However, my son has
> turned out to be musical and I am trying to help him on in his music
> by taking both of us along to a community orchestra. I am also now
> helping the orchestra as a volunteer, by doing some of the file
> processing of their music, converting .sib files to pdf of the parts
> and full score, and to the mp3 and midi files, and putting them up on
> the website.
>
> The conductor sends me 5 or 8 or more sib files a week and I'm finding
> it much more convenient to batch process the files rather then to
> export everything one at a time by the gui. I would like to learn more
> about the scripting language in sibelius, partly because I enjoy
> scripting and partly because I would like to minimise my workload in
> manual file processing as much as possible.
>
> I run Sibelius ultimate on an education licence. I have two computers.
> One is a win 7 toshiba laptop with a core 2 duo processer and 3GB of
> RAM. The other is a home-built win 10 tower pc with and i7-8700
> processor and 32GB ram.
>
> I'd be really glad of any tips on how to figure out that scripting,
> because I'm finding the documentation and IDE a bit limited.
>
> Thanks!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
>
>

--

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 150007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 25359505
Friedrichstraße 23a
10969 Berlin

notengrafik.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Bob Zawalich-3
Thomas gives a lot of good information. One point, however:
> One important thing to be aware of:  Sibelius often (or always??) reports syntax errors on the wrong line.

Actually, it only does this if you use comments in the form /* comment */
For this reason I nearly always use the // form for comments despite the inconvenience.


You will definitely want to use the Sibelius plugin editor for laying out dialogs, and despite its many limitations, the Sibelius plugin editor is the only one that lets you edit plugin code and then test the results without closing and restarting Sibelius.

One additional big problem with using an external editor for ManuScript plugins is that the text files uses double quote characters to delimit blocks, and you must use single quotes when you want an actual double quote character, as for literals. If you get the double quotes messed up Sibelius will not read the plugin file.

I often write individual methods in a text editor, and then paste the results into the Sibelius editor; this avoids the double quote problem. I use an external editor for Find and Replace and general formatting, but you need to be very careful to avoid the double quote problem when you do that.

Good luck!

bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Plugin-dev <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Thomas Weber
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:03 AM
To: A mailing list for Sibelius plug-in developers <[hidden email]>; Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Plugin-dev] new member

Hi Jennifer,

welcome to the club!  Great to see people from community orchestras here who support those often hard working all-in-one-arranger-conductor-manager people.

You're actually right – documentation and especially the "IDE" can be a little underwhelming.  But first things first.

If you want to install one of the plugins listed on the Sibelius website[1], then you should do that via File => Plug-ins => Install Plug-ins.  Make sure in the "Show" dropdown you select "All plug-ins".  (A plug-in list that's much nicer to search that the Sibelius plugin page and the install dialog is made available by NYC Music Services[2].)

If you want to install other plugins, put the PLG files (on Windows) into %appdata%\Avid\Sibelius\Plugins.  Usually, you have sub-folders for different categories there, like Text, Accidentals or Other.  Choose one of those categories or create your own for the plugin.

If you want to write your own plug-ins, you'd "traditionally" write the code in Sibelius' built-in editor.  As you are a developer, you're certainly used to a more more powerful working environments.  There are ways of using proper code editors and proper version control, which are however a little involved to set up.  So for the start, maybe use the built-in editor, and as you progress, you might be interested in some external tools[3][4].

One important thing to be aware of:  Sibelius often (or always??) reports syntax errors on the wrong line.  And ManuScript actually has quite some quirks.  If you can't get something seemingly trivial to work – don't question your sanity, it might just be the language.  There are lists of (some of the) quirks[5], but better only consult them if you have to and not before writing your first piece of ManuScript code.

Happy coding
Thomas


[1] http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/
[2] https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources/#sibelius-plug-ins
[3] https://github.com/tido/plgToMSS/
[4] https://github.com/notengrafik/language-manuscript/
[5] http://sibelius-manuscript-plug-in-developers.3224780.n2.nabble.com/Hans-Christoph-Wirth-s-document-Manuscript-Quirks-td7573089.html


Am 23.01.19 um 15:24 schrieb Jennifer Deegan:

> Hi,
>
> I wondered if I might introduce myself? I have just joined your list.
>
>  I used to work in Bioinformatics, doing java programming and
> ontologies for biomedical research. I then had 9 years as a
> stay-at-home Mum, which I still am actually. However, my son has
> turned out to be musical and I am trying to help him on in his music
> by taking both of us along to a community orchestra. I am also now
> helping the orchestra as a volunteer, by doing some of the file
> processing of their music, converting .sib files to pdf of the parts
> and full score, and to the mp3 and midi files, and putting them up on
> the website.
>
> The conductor sends me 5 or 8 or more sib files a week and I'm finding
> it much more convenient to batch process the files rather then to
> export everything one at a time by the gui. I would like to learn more
> about the scripting language in sibelius, partly because I enjoy
> scripting and partly because I would like to minimise my workload in
> manual file processing as much as possible.
>
> I run Sibelius ultimate on an education licence. I have two computers.
> One is a win 7 toshiba laptop with a core 2 duo processer and 3GB of
> RAM. The other is a home-built win 10 tower pc with and i7-8700
> processor and 32GB ram.
>
> I'd be really glad of any tips on how to figure out that scripting,
> because I'm finding the documentation and IDE a bit limited.
>
> Thanks!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
>
>

--

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 150007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 25359505
Friedrichstraße 23a
10969 Berlin

notengrafik.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Thomas Weber
Am 23.01.19 um 18:37 schrieb Bob Zawalich:
> You will definitely want to use the Sibelius plugin editor for laying out dialogs, and despite its many limitations, the Sibelius plugin editor is the only one that lets you edit plugin code and then test the results without closing and restarting Sibelius.


That is not true – that would be a nightmare.  You can select the plugin in the "Edit Plugins" window and then click "Unload" and "Reload".  The limitation is that you can then not run the plugin from the ribbon.  However, if required that can also be worked around with the help of a "launcher" or "proxy" plugin that just calls the main method of the reloaded plugin.

To see a Plugin that was written entirely outside Sibelius, have a look at Sibmei:

    https://github.com/music-encoding/sibmei/tree/develop

Thomas


--

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 150007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 25359505
Friedrichstraße 23a
10969 Berlin

notengrafik.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

jsp28
Is there a way to unload a lot of plugins at once? I think that having
too many loaded is making my laptop copy of sibelius run short of
memory.

Thanks!

Jen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 17:59, Thomas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Am 23.01.19 um 18:37 schrieb Bob Zawalich:
> > You will definitely want to use the Sibelius plugin editor for laying out dialogs, and despite its many limitations, the Sibelius plugin editor is the only one that lets you edit plugin code and then test the results without closing and restarting Sibelius.
>
>
> That is not true – that would be a nightmare.  You can select the plugin in the "Edit Plugins" window and then click "Unload" and "Reload".  The limitation is that you can then not run the plugin from the ribbon.  However, if required that can also be worked around with the help of a "launcher" or "proxy" plugin that just calls the main method of the reloaded plugin.
>
> To see a Plugin that was written entirely outside Sibelius, have a look at Sibmei:
>
>     https://github.com/music-encoding/sibmei/tree/develop
>
> Thomas
>
>
> --
>
> Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
> HRB 150007
>
> UstID: DE 289234097
> Geschäftsführer:
> Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff
>
> fon: +49 30 25359505
> Friedrichstraße 23a
> 10969 Berlin
>
> notengrafik.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Bob Zawalich-3

As far as I know, you can only unload plugins one at a time in the plugin editor. Plugins themselves have no access to the load and unload calls.

 

I would not expect that plugins would use up a huge amount of memory, though, since they are just text files.

 

We are discouraged from deleting any of the shipping Sibelius files, including plugins.

 

Try turning off the loading of Ideas, (Show built-in ideas)  if you are not using them

 

 

I don’t usually worry about memory on my machine, so I don’t have any good suggestions for reducing the amount of memory used. This might be a good question to ask on the tech support forum.

 

bob

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Plugin-dev <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Jennifer Deegan
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:07 AM
To: A mailing list for Sibelius plug-in developers <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Plugin-dev] new member

 

Is there a way to unload a lot of plugins at once? I think that having too many loaded is making my laptop copy of sibelius run short of memory.

 

Thanks!

 

Jen

 

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 17:59, Thomas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 

> Am 23.01.19 um 18:37 schrieb Bob Zawalich:

> > You will definitely want to use the Sibelius plugin editor for laying out dialogs, and despite its many limitations, the Sibelius plugin editor is the only one that lets you edit plugin code and then test the results without closing and restarting Sibelius.

> 

> 

> That is not true – that would be a nightmare.  You can select the plugin in the "Edit Plugins" window and then click "Unload" and "Reload".  The limitation is that you can then not run the plugin from the ribbon.  However, if required that can also be worked around with the help of a "launcher" or "proxy" plugin that just calls the main method of the reloaded plugin.

> 

> To see a Plugin that was written entirely outside Sibelius, have a look at Sibmei:

> 

>     https://github.com/music-encoding/sibmei/tree/develop

> 

> Thomas

> 

> 

> --

> 

> Notengrafik Berlin GmbH

> HRB 150007

> 

> UstID: DE 289234097

> Geschäftsführer:

> Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

> 

> fon: +49 30 25359505

> Friedrichstraße 23a

> 10969 Berlin

> 

> notengrafik.com

> 

> 

> _______________________________________________

> Plugin-dev mailing list

> [hidden email]

> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

 

_______________________________________________

Plugin-dev mailing list

[hidden email]

http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

jsp28
Hi,

Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my faster machine, so it's probably okay.  

The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save location as the files came from. 

I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit. 

Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that you are taking to explain all this. 

Jennifer


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

image001.png (37K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Neil Sands
Jen, I think you'd be ok to edit that script, provided you don't then distribute it. I think. I'm not a lawyer. But I think you're on safe ground because apart from anything else, who would know?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 Jennifer Deegan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my faster machine, so it's probably okay.  

The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save location as the files came from. 

I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit. 

Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that you are taking to explain all this. 

Jennifer

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

jsp28
Hi Neil,

Thanks, yes I see what you mean. Good point. I'll see if I can figure
it out then. :-)

Ta!

Jen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:42, Neil Sands <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Jen, I think you'd be ok to edit that script, provided you don't then distribute it. I think. I'm not a lawyer. But I think you're on safe ground because apart from anything else, who would know?
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 Jennifer Deegan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my faster machine, so it's probably okay.
>>
>> The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save location as the files came from.
>>
>> I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit.
>>
>> Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that you are taking to explain all this.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Plugin-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

jsp28
You're never going to believe it, but that just worked first time. I
have it opening a folder of sib files, saving two pdfs (parts in one,
full score in the other) and saving it to the location that the sib
files are in, without even asking.

I even managed to find where the file is saved so I can take a backup copy.

I feel quite snazzy now. :-)

Thanks for that. :-)

Gosh!

Jen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:45, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Neil,
>
> Thanks, yes I see what you mean. Good point. I'll see if I can figure
> it out then. :-)
>
> Ta!
>
> Jen
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:42, Neil Sands <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Jen, I think you'd be ok to edit that script, provided you don't then distribute it. I think. I'm not a lawyer. But I think you're on safe ground because apart from anything else, who would know?
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 Jennifer Deegan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my faster machine, so it's probably okay.
> >>
> >> The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save location as the files came from.
> >>
> >> I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit.
> >>
> >> Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that you are taking to explain all this.
> >>
> >> Jennifer
> >>>
> >>>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Plugin-dev mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Plugin-dev mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Bob Zawalich-3
Congratulations!

-----Original Message-----
From: Plugin-dev <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Jennifer
Deegan
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:21 PM
To: A mailing list for Sibelius plug-in developers
<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Plugin-dev] new member

You're never going to believe it, but that just worked first time. I have it
opening a folder of sib files, saving two pdfs (parts in one, full score in
the other) and saving it to the location that the sib files are in, without
even asking.

I even managed to find where the file is saved so I can take a backup copy.

I feel quite snazzy now. :-)

Thanks for that. :-)

Gosh!

Jen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:45, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Neil,
>
> Thanks, yes I see what you mean. Good point. I'll see if I can figure
> it out then. :-)
>
> Ta!
>
> Jen
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:42, Neil Sands <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> >
> > Jen, I think you'd be ok to edit that script, provided you don't then
distribute it. I think. I'm not a lawyer. But I think you're on safe ground
because apart from anything else, who would know?
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 Jennifer Deegan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my
faster machine, so it's probably okay.
> >>
> >> The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export
folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so
that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a
separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save
location as the files came from.
> >>
> >> I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do
it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships
with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit.
> >>
> >> Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that
you are taking to explain all this.

> >>
> >> Jennifer
> >>>
> >>>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Plugin-dev mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Plugin-dev mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com


_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

jsp28
Thanks :-) Mysterious!

Jen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 21:28, Bob Zawalich <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Congratulations!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Plugin-dev <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Jennifer
> Deegan
> Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:21 PM
> To: A mailing list for Sibelius plug-in developers
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Plugin-dev] new member
>
> You're never going to believe it, but that just worked first time. I have it
> opening a folder of sib files, saving two pdfs (parts in one, full score in
> the other) and saving it to the location that the sib files are in, without
> even asking.
>
> I even managed to find where the file is saved so I can take a backup copy.
>
> I feel quite snazzy now. :-)
>
> Thanks for that. :-)
>
> Gosh!
>
> Jen
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:45, Jennifer Deegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > Thanks, yes I see what you mean. Good point. I'll see if I can figure
> > it out then. :-)
> >
> > Ta!
> >
> > Jen
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:42, Neil Sands <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Jen, I think you'd be ok to edit that script, provided you don't then
> distribute it. I think. I'm not a lawyer. But I think you're on safe ground
> because apart from anything else, who would know?
> > >
> > > On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 Jennifer Deegan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Hi,
> > >>
> > >> Thanks, that's good to know. I think I will do all the big stuff on my
> faster machine, so it's probably okay.
> > >>
> > >> The script that I am most interested in building on is called "Export
> folder of scores as PDF". What I would like to do really is to change it so
> that it defaults to exporting the parts as one file and the full score as a
> separate file with the name "%f - %p - %d - %h.pdf" and to the same save
> location as the files came from.
> > >>
> > >> I think it's a relatively small edit if I could figure out how to do
> it, but would it not be okay to edit that script since it's one that ships
> with Sibelius? It just would save me a lot of time to customise it a bit.
> > >>
> > >> Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate the time that
> you are taking to explain all this.
> > >>
> > >> Jennifer
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> Plugin-dev mailing list
> > >> [hidden email]
> > >> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Plugin-dev mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Plugin-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Bob Zawalich-3
In reply to this post by Thomas Weber

Hi Thomas,

 

Sorry I did not mean for my last message to be private. I intended it to be shared with the list, so I will cc them here.

 

> It amazes me that you developed your excellent plugins inside Sibelius's awkward editor, having to resort to copy & paste for something as basic as search & replace

 

I don’t do a lot of search and replace. When I need to do it, I copy the file into a text editor (I usually use UltraEdit for this). I use UltraEdit when I need to do a lot of reformatting, though I really don’t tend to do a lot of that either.

 

The ability to just write a couple lines of code and try them immediately is a big deal to me. Also my methods tend to be small – I try to keep them on a single screen, and I have a very consistent variable naming style so I mostly don’t have to do much more than typing.

 

Also, I have a huge number of plugins I can cannibalize, either using existing plugins as templates or copying methods from other plugins.

 

The biggest thing I have always really missed is an interactive debugger. I can’t tell you how many trace() statements I have written over the years!

 

You might also point users toward using the Install New Plugin plugin (category Other), which can be installed using the Installer, and which saves you from needing to figure out the file structure for storing plugins. I wrote it before there was a plugin Installer, but it had the unfortunate need to itself be installed before it was useful, which was awkward to do before there was an Installer.

 

I figured it would never be needed again, but it is remarkable how often uses appear for old tools! It is also useful if you want to install a folder full of plugins at once, as I do for Curated Plugin Sets and the My Plugin plugin. But I digress…

 

Bob

 

 

 

From: Thomas Weber <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:54 PM
To: Bob Zawalich <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Plugin-dev] new member

 

Am 23.01.19 um 20:10 schrieb Bob Zawalich:

I have never had to deal with Unload and Reload much, but I can see that once a plugin is installed it will be available to Unload and Reload, and I suppose that Reload will take the source file and read it in.

 

That's right.

 

That being the case, I don't see why this would prevent the plugin from being run from the Ribbon once reloaded.

 

Well, that's alas how it is.  Just try unload/reload on an arbitrary plugin.  You can then still find it in the ribbon search bar, but it won't run.  If that's a problem for me, I create a proxy plugin that just has a Run function with "Myotherplugin.Run();".  But as I'm working sort-of test driven, my work at the moment usually looks more like:

  1. Edit code in external editor
  2. Hit Unload Reload Edit Run (using Alt+U Alt+R Alt+E Alt+R)
  3. If tests don't pass, continue with 1.

It amazes me that you developed your excellent plugins inside Sibelius's awkward editor, having to resort to copy & paste for something as basic as search & replace.  My development environment looks like this:

https://imgur.com/SB8QiK6

You see syntax highlighting, syntax error checking and code snippet completion.  I linked the code on GitHub, but I didn't create packages on npmjs.com and atom.io yet, which would make the installation process way simpler.

 

I would think that Reload would do the equivalent of what Sibelius does when it starts up and loads all the plugins. Is that not the case? Do shortcuts to such plugins also fail if the file is changed and the plugin reloaded?

 

Keyboard shortcuts will break (until you do the File => Preferences => Keyboard Shortcuts => OK trick).

 

What does Sibmei suggest doing to install plugin? Does it have its own installer?

 

Basically to follow the "How to install plug-ins" page that you linked.

Thomas

 

P.S.: Did you intentionally reply privately?



-- 
 
Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 150007
 
UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff
 
fon: +49 30 25359505
Friedrichstraße 23a
10969 Berlin
 
notengrafik.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new member

Thomas Weber
In reply to this post by Bob Zawalich-3
Am 23.01.19 um 18:37 schrieb Bob Zawalich:
Thomas gives a lot of good information. One point, however:
One important thing to be aware of:  Sibelius often (or always??) reports syntax errors on the wrong line.
Actually, it only does this if you use comments in the form /* comment */
For this reason I nearly always use the // form for comments despite the inconvenience.


I didn't systematically examine whether the number the error dialog shows is correct, but the line that is highlighted is wrong in my experience.  And that's all I'm usually looking at because the editor does not show line numbers.  A little experimentation suggests that the highlight is always off by one line if there are no block comments and no lines are auto-wrapped (i.e. the editor window needs to be wide enough).  Does that match your experience?

https://imgur.com/a/u9kW4aL

Especially if errors occur at run-time, the wrapping problem is too bad because the editor window opens with a width that can't be influenced beforehand (or can it?) and might be too narrow.  And re-sizing the window after it has opened does not change the highlight.

Thomas


-- 

Notengrafik Berlin GmbH
HRB 150007

UstID: DE 289234097
Geschäftsführer:
Thomas Weber und Werner J. Wolff

fon: +49 30 25359505
Friedrichstraße 23a
10969 Berlin

notengrafik.com

_______________________________________________
Plugin-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.avid.com/mailman/listinfo/plugin-dev_lists.avid.com